We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB device needs formatting.....

Picklefactory
Resolved

Likes # 0

.... but it doesn't

Has anyone seen this issue before? I have a 4Gb Kingston flash drive that works perfectly in my desktop pc (XP) and on another laptop that I've tried it with (Win 7), but on a third, newish laptop (Win 7) it generates a message that the drive needs formatting. It only occurs on that machine, which I need to take on a business trip. Any ideas folks?

I know I can use a different flash drive (Also tried and possible) but I'd like to solve the issue if possible and understand why it has occurred. Cheers

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Why not just format the USB after backing up anything you wish to keep, then see if it works on all three. I know I have had USB stick problems myself with some of of my 4 PC's seeing them others not, I have just put it down to the foibles of PC's where something or some software will work perfectly well on one PC yet on another virtually identical there are problems.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus

I'll give it a try and post back in a bit.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Nope... that didn't work. Formatted on desktop, all went fine, reloaded the data, all still fine, removed, reconnected the drive, still no issue. Tried it back in the troublesome laptop (Dell), same response as before. I then tried formatting on the troublesome Dell and it couldn't complete the format either in quick or full mode. It just doesn;t seem to like that specific USB drive. I also tried a different flash drive in the Dell in the same USB port, and that one works perfectly.

Strange

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Strange indeed. I have three USB sticks which are identical,they were bought as a three piece set, 2 work flawlessly on my Win 7 PC the third does not. On my wifes PC (Win 7) one works,and on the HTPC (Win 7)they all work. Strange indeed.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Assume that you have tried another port.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Woolwell Yes but ta for the suggestion. The Dell also has a desk mount cradle with desk monitor which also has USB ports built in, and the same result when plugged into alternate laptop port or the monitor port.

Stupid laptop!!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

USB irritates me sometimes. I have a smartphone that connects to my desktop without trouble but refuses to be recognised by my laptop with the same OS.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

You could try formatting the drive in the Dell laptop and then putting the files back on from the desktop.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

BRYNIT Thats what I suggested,didn't work unfortunately.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

It's interesting to see the issues you fellas have had with USB's in general. I don't use them massively, but I do have a few plus my smart phone, bluetooth dongles etc and I can hardly think of any issues I've had with any of them on various machines, so a bit of an eye opener for me.

Still none the wiser with this issue, but might just be one of those things

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...