We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Outlook - Repeatedly asked for password

compumac

Likes # 0

Within Microsoft Outlook I have 5 e-mail addresses and for two and sometimes three of them, the dialogue box comes up repeatedly asking "Type your user name and password" and comes back immediately you have either clicked "OK" or closed it down with the X in the top right hand corner of the dialogue box. I have on each of the e-mail accounts tried the repair option and after some time a confirmation e-mail is received indicating it is functioning OK and then we go through the whole process again and again. This situation has become increasing worse such that today the screen becomes filled with "Type your name and password". I had this situation years ago but cannot for the life of me remember as to the solution. Hopefully someone out there will know?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

This happens to me occasionally, but always rights itself. I put it down to some sort of issue at the ISP's end.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

You could try Creating new Profile, this sometimes works Create New Profile

Be sure to backup your current Outlook so that you can import all your old contacts calendars and emails into the new profile. I have had some success with this, but as Ian in Northampton says, it could well be an ISP problem.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Thanks for reply. I have checked on one of my other PC's (PC2) with the same e-mail accounts and the problem does not exist on that one. I also found that on PC2, I sent e-mails to each of the other accounts and they were received on PC2 but not on the first PC. The main account does not appear to be effected on either PC, only subsidiary accounts.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Unless you have ticked for e-mails to remain on server or you are using imap then when they are received on PC2 then they will not be available to be downloaded to the first pc.

Suggest that you check the account settings and in particular the advanced settings. It is almost certainly worthwhile increasing the server timeout to around 4 mins. It could be that the first pc is having a delay in response from the server and then prompting for the password which is fairly typical for connection problems with the server.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Woolwell E-mails are left on the server. In respect of the timeout, I was not aware of that option - I have now changed, as you suggested to 4 minutes although PC2 had the same timeout at one minute. Worth a try anyway.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback