We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

virus trojan hardrive problem

tonyq
Resolved

Likes # 0

I keep getting the message "Files indexation process failed" which I think is a virus/trojan also a screen comes up tittled System Check-Scan PC for errors. Trouble is I seem to have lost all my progammes ect,and the laptop (Toshiba)(Windows Vista)will only boot into safe mode. I have no system restore,and have tried using the "last good confiration" or words to that effect to no avail. Help PLease!

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

First of all Sorry that I have been so long to reply,I have been out all day.

Midgetninja, I have run unhide again which as not improve the situation. I was thinking of trying system restore. The farthest I could go back to is the 10th Jan 2012,which I think is 2 days before the problem started but not sure. Your thoughts on the matter.

robinofloxley, not sure what you mean by,

Ensure Explorer/Layout/Organize/Menu Bar is ticked.

Tools/Folder Options/View Tab/Show hidden files and folders

Apply/Apply to folders/OK

could you explain in more detail please.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I meant this (alternate method from above)

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

robinofloxley,

thank you for the posting of the web site,of which I followed the Instructions, but to no avail.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Before you use system restore (if it will work) try the system file checker. This link should help. Note if sfc /scannow can't repair on the first run then try the command again. Sometimes you need to run it up to about four times. If still unsuccessful then try a restore in safe mode. Best to leave a space between the "c" and "/".

Note that you will only have one chance to restore to your last point in safe mode as all other restore points previous to that will be deleted.

rong text**

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Should be 'any restore points after the one you use' will be deleted in safe mode.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

I have done sfc /scannow which found no problems. I will back up my Important files, then do a system restore. It may be a while before I report back as my external drive is full,so I am having to invest in a new one.I am thinking of buying the CLICK FREE C2 Portable Hard Drive - 500GB from Curry's at £79.99.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

I don't have a Win Vista disc,a recovery disc was supplied with the Toshiba laptop. I have started in Safe Mode,there is a option to "Repair Computer" which I have clicked on,a screen came up saying "Windows is Loading Files" with a bar underneath,but nothing seems to be happening, It as been running for about one and half hours,I was expecting something to show on the bar as to how much had been loaded. Could you tell me if this is correct?

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

I don't have a Win Vista disc,a recovery disc was supplied with the Toshiba laptop. I have started in Safe Mode,there is a option to "Repair Computer" which I have clicked on,a screen came up saying "Windows is Loading Files" with a bar underneath,but nothing seems to be happening, It as been running for about one and half hours,I was expecting something to show on the bar as to how much had been loaded. Could you tell me if this is correct?

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

Update

try as I may,I could not get the laptop working as it should,so after days of trying,I contacted Malwarebytes Forum,where one of there advisors told me what programs ect to run to get rid of all the difficult malware on my system that was causing the problem. Everything is now more or less back to normal.Thank you all for your help/advice.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...