We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDMI problem

amonra

Likes # 0

I have just had a major shake-up with my computer, Win7 64b AMD Athlon X4. Bought myself a new TV/monitor. Fitted a new video card Radeon HD 5450 which has VGA and HDMI outputs. Downloaded all the latest drivers etc and works like a charm on VGA. BUT when I switch to HDMI, all I can see is the screen wallpaper ! No icons or taskbar or anything just the wallpaper. Where an I going wrong ? Tried different input sockets HDMI 1, 2, 3, no change. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

I had the exact same problem with mine,some things you can try,plug in the hdmi take out the vga restart the pc,it should detect the hdmi ,make sure the tv is on the hdmi channel,it took me a few tries but i did get it to work but i only had it on 720p setting as the 1080i setting was interlaced on the refresh and looked horrid.If you can try to set the 720p option in the hdmi settings in the amd vision centre.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

Thanks acolyte, will try those things tomorrow after I get a flat tyre on the car fixed, it never rains but it pours !

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

you don't say what your TV monitor model is but I suspect it may have an analogue (VGA) and Digital ( HDMI) setting. Have a look at the Manual

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

you don't say what your TV monitor model is but I suspect it may have an analogue (VGA) and Digital ( HDMI) setting. Have a look at the Manual

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

It sound like you have two monitors connected 1 x VGA 1 x HDMI if so you may have it set to extend and should have the icons/taskbar on the VGA monitor and just the wallpaper on the HDMI monitor?

If you go to start/all programs/accessories/ connect to a projector you should find

Computer only, this with my computer connects to the HDMI monitor when two are connected.

Duplicate, this will show the same on both monitors

Extend, this gives icons on the main monitor and just wallpaper on the extended monitor you just drag from main monitor to the extended monitor.

Projector only, this connects just to the VGA monitor.

If you just connect the HDMI before booting the computer you should get all icons/taskbars showing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features