We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I have been told to upgrade to 2.0 but 2.12 is only one available.

woodman-46

Likes # 0

I have a laptop that of its own accord turns itself off without warning and reboots. I have been told to "upgrade to bios 2.0 but when I go to the relevant section for my machine on the Acer website the only one available is 2.12. Presumably 2.12 is the correct one but as people are suggesting 2.0 I am confused. Are they one and the same. Any advice welcome. Thanks

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

At a guess - and it is a guess - I'd have thought that you'd be OK. It looks like you need Version 2.0, and 2.12 would be Version 2.0, update 12. Which is probably more stable than the original version 2.0...

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

It depends who is telling you to upgrade the BIOS. This is something that can go wrong, so should not be undertaken lightly.

Can you give more detail on what it is that goes wrong, and what model is it. How old is the machine?

Who is telling you to upgrade the BIOS?

Like this post
woodman-46

Likes # 0

Thanks for your answers. I have been onto many forums about this and again many people who have had this problem have upgraded the bios and it has solved the problem ( I think Acer are advising it themselves because it is a well known issue) The laptop is an Acer aspire 7735g about 2 years old. I would imagine if the bios showing for this machine is the 2.12 on the Acer site then that would be the correct one to upgrade to if needed. Acer are not replying at the moment. Thanks

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

OK, is the reboot a new issue?

So long as you have got the correct BIOS for your machine, you should be OK. .12 will just be a more recent version than 2, as Ian suggests.

It might be worth getting opinion on here as to whether the BIOS upgrade will solve your problem... after all, if something else is causing it, the BIOS upgrade may do nothing to help, and may cause further issues.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

It seems as if ACER has found a fault, possibly linked to microsoft updates and needs to update the BIOS to take advantage of the updated system.

Provided you check carefully that you have the right BIOS for your machine, there should be no problems, however I suggest you make a backup of your current BIOS.

Without knowing model and specs, I can only offer general info- Try this page for more info.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=acer%20computer%20BIOS%20backup&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...