We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

monitor moving on its own

sdmck

Likes # 0

My pc monitor scrolls on its own as though I am using the mouse wheel even though I am not. I google search for something and when I try to click on to a particular web site the monitor has moved and I end up clicking on something else. Have bought a new cable between monitor and computer, changing mouse, and even using portable tv as a computer monitor but the problems is still there. Please can anyone help?

Like this post
Ellie

Likes # 0

I had the same problem with my laptop screen. I solved it by going to Control Panel, Mouse, Device settings, settings..., Virtual scrolling, long distance scrolling and took the tick out of Enable coasting. Don't know if it will be the same for you, but it may be worth a look.

Like this post
sdmck

Likes # 0

not been able to find "virtual scrolling". I have Windows 7. It is as though I am scrolling up and down but I am not touching the mouse. Driving me mad.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Have you tried another mouse in case the mouse is faulty?

Like this post
sdmck

Likes # 0

tried that last night but will do again tonight - need to go to work. Thanks for help .

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Or - it could be that you have a sticky key on your keyboard.

Like this post
sdmck

Likes # 0

Will give that a try after work. However, don't think I mentioned on this post that I had the same problem before changing my computer some months ago. So don't really think it can be related to the computer, keyboard or mouse as these are all new. When I first started using the new computer all was well but just recently this problem has come back. I really thought it was my monitor or the connecting cable to the monitor but now realise it is not. Don't suppose it could be anything to do with my broadband or the Norton anti virus I installed a few months ago.

Like this post
sdmck

Likes # 0

The problem with screen scrolling seems to have corrected itself now. Think it may have been dirt in my mouse but not sure. However, all is well for the time being and thanks to those who offered assistance.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...