We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD not recognised lower filter missing

mde

Likes # 0

After trying to install a Texet web cam neither of my DVD recorders are recognised by Windows. I've tried all the usual uninstall / reinstall of drivers, and physically disconnected both drives, all to no avail Message in device manager is

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" Driver provider Microsoft 01/07/2001, Driver Version 5.1.2535.0, the driver files listed are C:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys C:\windows\system32\drivers\imapi.sys C:\windows\system32\drivers\erdbook.sys C:\windows\system32\drivers\storprop.dll

I've followed the registry edit instructions and removed both upper and lower filters, but it makes no difference, and they don't reappear after re boot.

Microsoft site is not a lot of help if the lowerfilter doesn't reappear in registry. DevCon shows an upperfilter of redbook but this doesn't show in registry at {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

Any ideas of what to do? Thanks Mike PS my sound has gone as well (Realtek on board ALC662)

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Is the IMAPI CD-Burning COM service running in windows services?

Control Panel, sound and audio devices, Audio Tab sound playback drop down window, default device RealTek?

Like this post
mde

Likes # 0

No the Audio tab shows no devices for sound recording, playback and midi music playback.

The hardware tab however shows both DVD players and the Realtek High Definition Audio with the code 39 message. Thanks Mike

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

You've probably seen this, part 2 system restore no good?

enter link description here

Like this post
mde

Likes # 0

I've solved the problem. All I had to do was download the audio drivers from the motherboard website and re-install them. It solved the DVD problem as well.

I was obviously going the wrong way round Thanks for the advice Mike

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days