We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New PC - Split HD

Legslip

Likes # 0

My pal has just purchased a new Acer Desktop with a 1tb HD. I have reloaded all of his progs & files but have just noticed via My Computer that his HD is partitioned into two sectors of about 450gb, one marked Acer C and the other Data D. I presume that the objective is for him to save his personal files to D. If so, why is the PC not already set up for him to do so i.e. why are his Libraries not set up on D? Leaving it as it is would appear to leave D untouched and therefore a waste of space? If what I am saying is near correct, how do we set his PC up to put his data and thereafter have the default save location on the D Sector?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder

Also applies to the other personal folders.

Some Apps require you to go into their Tools/Options default folder/file location setup etc.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have always thought it a little pointless partitioning a single HDD if it fails the whole drive fails. Far better to have a smaller boot drive for OS and programs with a bigger secondary for everything else.

It is actually quite simple.

I assume you are referring to special folders such as Documents, Pictures, Video, etc...

Right-click the special folder, chose properties, select the location tab, there you'll see the button to change the location.

But now the trick to avoid you getting double folder entries.

When you select a location let say d: and you click apply, you will be asked if you want to move the files that are present in the default folder.

Always chose yes, even if you think there's nothing in them.

That's it basically.

Like this post
Braebo Computers

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus,

We find that the OS is more likely to fail as opposed to the physical hard drive which is were having a partition with only files and no OS can come in handy as you can just reinstall Windows over partition a and not lose any of your important documents/files.

Ofcourse, your suggestion of two drives is even better if a persons budget allows :)

Thanks, Braebo.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks as always RobinofOxley but why do they do it? A novice PC purchaser would not understand having a split HD unless the machine was programmed to save to the other sector. There are no user guides to explain what to do. If manufacturers are not going to set the machine up to save to the D sector, why not leave the HD as one complete sector or at least setup as Chronus suggests?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I agree Legslip - there are a lot of people who are novices when it comes to computers that actually think they have 2 hard drives installed - you will have seen posts on here relating to just that.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

The idea is you can repair Windows or re-install more easily if you get problems.

In practice it never is 'easy'.

Yes, manufacturers could explain better. But users should have some responsibility to have or gain some knowledge.

You wouldn't expect a Car Handbook to tell you how to fill up with Petrol. (of course there should be a note saying what type of fuel to sue).

I consider external backup drives to be essential these days as mentioned.

If a computer user does not have one they are inviting disaster within say 5 years. (a second computer can be used as a backup drive, space permitting)

On-line backups/multiple DVDs can be used for most important documents.

But really a USB 2nd drive is the most convenient.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks RobinofLoxley but if the idea is to have a sector for Windows, why not make it about 30-40gb and then allocate the rest of the disk to Programme/User files? Like you, I think that is probably a good idea but PC sellers don't seem to set 'em up that way and I still cannot understand the logic of splitting a drive and then making the user, rather than the supplier, setup the default 'save' location for their personal data.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

R&D Cost is the major factor I would think. Someone has to decide the system configuration. Someone has to write the user manuals.

Meanwhile, the market is moving. You have to get product out of the door.

And you can't make a system suitable for everyone.

You suggest 30-40GB. I would suggest 60-90GB. Someone else would want another size.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

As I am just struggling to resize Partitions an old Packard Bell XP machine which was split approx. 30Gb and 120Gb I noticed that this machine was setup by the manufacturer to provide the Documents and Settings on the Data drive. Unfortunately of course, XP is now so bloated that 30Gb is insufficient.

I would have to agree with robinofloxley - for Win7 nearer 90Gb would be wise! If the data drive is completely empty on tht new Acer (And doesn't have any of the files required to restore to factory settings) I would resize the C drive down to 100Gb and merge the spare space with the D drive. Then move all he data as detailed in his first post.

Like this post
Braebo Computers

Likes # 0

Hi, I was going to reply earlier saying I'll post a video to try and help people in future, however forgot to press send lol.

Here is the video which explains how to change the defaults in library, which I hope will assist your friend.

If you want any other videos please let me know.

Change Windows 7 libraries default save

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...