We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I only want to print some labels.

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

I only want to print some labels, why is everything so difficult? Bought the labels 65 on A4 sheets that is fine. Just needed a bit of free software from avery to do the template. Got that OK, fine I thought but no. I wants to start writing half way down the label instead of starting at the top, tried the obvious things like backspace but it wont do it. Any ideas please.

Ray

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I cannot manually create a label 4.2 wide x 5. This would completely fill an A4 page from side to side. Somewhere on the label packaging there ought to be an equivalent Avery standard. I do wonder if these labels are the Avery mini-labels L7651 or J8651 and bumpkin's measurements are incorrect. However if the J8651 template is used then they should print inside each label without too much trouble.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Apologies - must re-read better. "The sheet is completely covered" - I cannot find a sheet of labels like that. Which make and brand?

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

These are the correct templates - either L7651 OR J8651

enter link description here

I don't think bumpkin means that "the Whole sheet" is covered - but that there are no gaps between the labels. It still has margins. Or am I wrong?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks to all for your time and suggestions. I do not know the make of these labels (cheapos from Ebay) I have now ordered some Avery labels which I assume will be OK. I don`t like to be beaten by things like this but there is only so much time one can waste. Will green tick it anyway.

Ray

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

Okay, I think I made one. Try a new custom label using these:

Start with J8651 in Avery A4 and A5 sizes

click on details and alter thus:

Top margin: 0cm

Side margin: 0cm

Vertical pitch: 2.28cm

Horizontal pitch: 4.2cm

Label height: 2.28cm

Label width: 4.2cm

Number across: 5

Number down: 13

Page size: A4 (21x29.7cm)

make a new Document and 'Edit'>'select all' then in Borders and shading click on 'All Borders' and then print on a plain A4 sheet and see if that matches up.

(I've just done the above and printed it out, it looks okay to me)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I found the labels on e-bay and did what lotvic describes apart from "all borders" and I got the right label size.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Just thought, extra instructions when printing plain sheet to compare with label sheet:

In 'Edit'>'Select All' and change font size to 10 Arial, then in 'cell 1 column 1' type 12345678901234567 which takes up the first line, new line 2, new line 3, new line 4, new line 5.

Next select (hightlight all the text) in the cell and rightclick 'copy'

Paste into all the other cells so that you will be able to see where your text is going to print.

Now print the plain sheet and compare it with your label sheet.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Woolwell, the 'All borders' is only for printing the test sheet on plain A4 so that it can be held up to the light to compare with the cut lines on label sheet.

When printing proper label sheet change to 'No Borders'

(I realise you know that, but thought better mention it for anyone else who might be following thread)

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Ok, thanks again. I can`t do this but I think I know why. Lotvics settings are the ones that I have tried earlier but I could not set the height to 2.28. I could only set it to 2.2 which causes an accumulative error the further down the grid I go, hence text in wrong place or I can set it to 2.3 which makes it too big to fit 13 rows. I think this would work if I get the right height. This could well be me missing something simple.

Ray

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Set it to 2.2 - then click your cursor after the second 2 and type in the 8

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more