We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I only want to print some labels.

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

I only want to print some labels, why is everything so difficult? Bought the labels 65 on A4 sheets that is fine. Just needed a bit of free software from avery to do the template. Got that OK, fine I thought but no. I wants to start writing half way down the label instead of starting at the top, tried the obvious things like backspace but it wont do it. Any ideas please.

Ray

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Also depends on the printer's 'Printable Area'

Specific Advice is nigh impossible without knowing all equipment and programs involved.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Try using the templates from Avery labels.

http://www.avery.co.uk/avery/en_gb/Templates-%26-Software

Terry

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks again everyone, I take your point Lotvic not enough info. The printer is Canon MP492, A4 is default, it will print a borderless A4 photo so I would say the print area is the whole page.

The labels I have are 5 colombs X 13 rows on A4 sheets. The sheet is completely covered no spaces top bottom or side or between the labels other than the cut line. Giving a size of 4.2cm x 2.284cm each 65 labels on sheet.

I have tried Avery software but cannot achieve what I want. Tried doing a custom template in Word but the min unit for label size is 1mm so 2.3 is too big to fit the page and 2.2 causes an accumulative miss placing of the text.

I will probably go to PC World and but some Avery labels with the software included unless any other ideas.

Mr Cheapskate is not always best when one considers the time wasted.

Thanks Ray

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

The templates you require are Avery (A4 and A5 sizes) numbers L7651 or J8651 - both of these are available on the included templates in Word. Each label is 3.81 cms by 2.12 cms. These templates should also work on your existing labels.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hopeless waste of time, prints everything in the wrong place. I give up. Ray

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Labels Page margins set wrong

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

perhaps you would like to clarify that Woodchip

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

bumpkin

My grandfather used to suffer the same problems as you are having and it regularly used to drive both of us mad as he tended to print quite a lot of labels (or at least try to!).

I eventually suggested to him that he buy this Dymo Label printer (can be picked up for £66 from Amazon), and after some reluctance he decided to buy one and has never looked back. He regularly reminds me that it's the best thing I've ever done for him. It works fantastically well and without fail every time. It would be well worth you considering.

Like this post
brambles

Likes # 0

Bumpkin - it's really not difficult to do what you want

Open Word

Click on Mailings

Click on Labels

Sea Urchin has correctly identified the label no.

Click Options then scroll down in Avery A4/A5 to J8651

Click OK

NOW THE IMPORTANT THING CLICK ON NEW DOCUMENT

YOU CAN TYPE WHERE YOU LIKE.

Brambles

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As per brambles says, and then just drag the columns and row heights to whatever you wish if they don't fit your particular label sheets.

OR

You do not say what version of Word you are using (I have Word 2003), maybe this will dissolve the mystery of labels:

A label template is just a preset Table

Using Word, You can make you own 5 x 13 table and specify the cell dimensions or you can drag the columns and row heights to whatever you wish. If you want a margin round the actual text you type in then you put extra cells and columns in and leave blank. This is so that when you type addresses in they don't start at the very edge of the actual label.

In Word 'View' set it to 'Print Layout' and 'Ruler' so that you can adjust the column and cells easily.

In 'Page Setup' reduce all the Margins to 0cm (or set the margins so that you don't need an extra column and row to leave blank) or just drag the ruler to suit.

In 'Borders & Shading' select 'No borders'

In 'Tools' choose to show gridlines so that you can see the table cells.

When you come to print, a popup may tell you that margins are set outside the printable area if you have not set the Printer to edge to edge. Either set the printer to start with to 'edge to edge' or tell the popup to ignore 'margins are set outside the printable area'. This may not apply if in page setup you have a margin all round.

Also practice the lining up by using a plain A4 sheet to print on, then hold it up to the light with a label sheet behind it so you can see if text in cells is in right place. You could if you wanted to just print the table with Borders (no text inside cells) to see if cells line up with the label sheet cut lines. This saves you from wasting label sheets. Obviously when actually printing the labels you change to 'No Borders'.

Tip: When you do get it right, save the blank document as a template so that you will have it available for action next time

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing