We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

2nd hard drive problem.

Macca810

Likes # 0

I have a custom built pc with 2 hard drives of which the first one is the master and is 64gb ssd.It is partitioned with my os and recovery and almost full and problem is that my second hard drive of 2tb has no drive letter and I can't seem to initialise it.It does not show up in my bios and seeing as it is healthy and shows up in my device management and I only know the basics I am stumped as to how to initialise it.Any help would be appreciated,thanks.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Oh. Sounds like it's done.

So you have E: Healthy Primary?

Should be ready to use.

Go and use Windows Explorer. Check E: Properties, see if it looks alright.

Like this post
Macca810

Likes # 0

My norton tells me pw is unsafe do you have a safe software?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You may need a Right Click Modify/Unhide. Apply as well.

I'm not sure.

Like this post
Macca810

Likes # 0

It wo'nt let me set as primary action is not available.

Like this post
Macca810

Likes # 0

It says it is not hidden but cannot make primary.Well,i'm stumped lol.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Try Windows Disc Management

Disc Management also allows you to assign or add a drive letter.

You may also wish to consider having more than one partition on the drive rather than a single 2TB one. I find Partition Wizard is better than Disc Management then.

Note that formatting may take a long time. If needed, you could do a Quick Format and run chkdsk at a later convenient time.

Like this post
Macca810

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info but it seems that my 2tb has been formatted as recovery with no drive letter and as my knowledge is limited I want to change it but it does'nt offer that option and would I be right that I need to allocate it in my bios?I looked in bios and it does'nt show up.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I don't think you can do anything in BIOS it will either show or not show.

(The only part of my BIOS that lists drives is in the Boot Order section anyway).

But if you can see it elsewhere it should not matter.

Drives do not get formatted as "Recovery". It should be formatted as NTFS (or FAT if very old which a 2TB drive is not).

Are you seeing the drive manufacturers Recovery partition? With rest of the drive perhaps Unallocated?

What exactly do you see if you go into Disc management?

You are running a PC and Windows I assume and have not bought an Apple HDD?

Like this post
Macca810

Likes # 0

Yes,Windows 7 and the whole of the disk is recovery partition and has no format while my ssd is ntfs and primary partition for both.It states that the disk is healthy but I have no option to initialise.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I might be way out here as you've said that the PC is custom built but a bit puzzled by the recovery bit? I'm just wondering if you used recovery discs to install Windows and it's thought that the two drives were partitions and made the second drive a recovery partition?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July