We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cponveting HI 8 films to DVD

geek84

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum for my query but how can I convert Hi 8 camcorder tapes to DVD?

I have a DVD and the camcorder but don't know which leads go where!!

Can someone be kind enough to give me some advice or direct me to any videos (such as youtube), which could help.

Thank You.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

First you will need to transfer the camcorder tapes to the Harddrive.

depending on the output sockets on your camcorder you will need to get a cable to connect to your computer see link for info http://www.ehow.com/how14432transfer-video-onto.html and you will need a device (Either a TV card or a device that plugs into a USB socket.

Once you have done that use a video editor (If using XP - try movie maker from your system- slow but it works).

When you are satisfied use a DVD burner (check google) to burn to disk.

Terry

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Sorry link did not work- Try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFTYuItdQO8

Terry

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Final try for link

http://www.ehow.com/how5835231convert-hi-video-dvd.html

terry

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

have a DVD, what does that mean please?

DVD player, DVD disk standalone recorder, DVD player/burner in your pc?

The camcorder is a Hi8 camcorder that you used to make the Hi8 videos on?

Best quality with Hi8 is ideally using the S-Video lead connection for transfering the video from the camcorder, and using AV leads Red and White to transfer the audio, rather than using all AV leads, ie the yellow for Video and as mentioned the red and white for audio.

S-Video Hosiden lead for video transfer from Hi8

enter link description here

Double ended RCA AV cables

Ideally if you have a standalone dvd disk recorder these leads will do and the dvd recorder will do the conversion from analogue Hi8 signal to digital signal, if inputting into a computer you will need something that has the sockets required in and also does the converting from analogue to digital and you will need capture software that often comes bundled with pc video capture hardware.

I used to use a Pinnacle PCI TV tuner card for inputting video from my Hi8 camera, but as mentioned there are external usb devices that you can plug into, things like Dazzle are very popular, this youtube vid explains how and I think the leads needed probably come with this kind of product

It's much easier if you can get hold of a standalone DVD disk recorder with red yellow and white RCA input sockets and ideally an S-video socket for your video, as it will do the conversion analogue to digital which is hard work for a pc and also make a dvd disk for you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...