We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are the various drivers for XP pro compatible with XP home edition?

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

I will be doing a fresh install of XP home to a new hard drive, but all of the 'drivers' are on an XP pro installed hard drive which I will be replacing.After installation of XP home on the new hard drive will I be able to load the 'drivers' from the old hard drive, which will be connected as a 'slave'.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

While the drivers for all versions of XP are, I believe, the same, you need to think hard about how you reinstall them. If you have all the drivers - in their original form - stored in a folder somewhere, you should be fine. Or: use a program like DriverMax to find and store all your drivers for you before making the change. How were you planning to get them from the slave drive to the new master drive?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Ian in Northhampton - I am thinking hard, was thinking of attaching hard drive (with all the 'drivers' on it), as slave, and pointing to it when asked for 'drivers', for the new install.Is this feesible?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

It would take longer than downloading the drivers for your machine from the manufacturers website and transferring them to the new drive with a memory stick.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'd go with Ian. Use the free version of drivermax It can save all the drivers to a flash drive in seconds and makes the reinstall much easier.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

AitchBEE: it's almost certainly not that simple. You need to install the drivers - I really don't think you can just copy them across, because they need to be integrated into your new Windows installation.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I don't know about drivermax, but some of these utils extract the drivers from an existing install and create installable driver sets. Maybe drivermax does that.

Certainly trying to install directly off another disk where the drivers are installed is fraught with issues. A normal driver install pack (for a particular piece of hardware) includes a .INF file which contains a variety of "parameter" information to tell the OS what driver files (e.g. to install and where to put them a various other info.

Also, some driver packs include software (.EXEs and .DLLs) that are designed to be installed alongside the drivers (auido and graphics are obvious examples of this).

By far the best way is to find out the motherboard details and all of the additional hardware that may have been added. Then go to the vendors website and download the latest driver packs.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Batch

Yes, drivermax does that. I've used it to reinstall drivers after an XP install and it works a treat.

Like this post  
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks everybody - I'll download Drivermax and give that a try.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses