We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Whats the best laptop I can get for my money (£500)?

sean_cov

Likes # 0

Hi

I am looking to buy a new laptop for use during university. Portability is not too much of an issue with me and I am looking to use my laptop for rendering, and other CAD related programs and I am not looking to spend above £500 for it. I am willing to look at refurbished as long as it comes with a warranty. I am therefore looking for a reasonably good graphics card. The two laptops that I am looking at are: http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv6-6052ea-refurbished-15-6-laptop-dark-umber-11102593-pdt.html or http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=n00x5m15&c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&model_id=xps-l502x (£160 cash back plus a 15% off code).

I look forward to your advice.

Thanks

Sean

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

did you look at the reviews on here?

Like this post
sean_cov

Likes # 0

yes I did not very helpful though.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

How does this stack up John Lewis Tosh

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Slightly over budget at £569 but has a dedicated graphics card and an i5 processor the Lenovo Z570 fromm CCL

Like this post
sean_cov

Likes # 0

What about this spec? Processor Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Processor - 2.3 GHz (2.9 GHz max Turbo Frequency) - 3 MB Smart Cache - Dual Core Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit RAM 6 GB DDR3 Graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor - 1 GB DDR5 dedicated graphics memory Screen type LCD widescreen Screen resolution - WXGA - 1366 x 768 Screen size 15.6" Screen features HP BrightView Infinity display LED-backlit Hard drive 640 GB SATA, 5400 rpm Optical disk drive LightScribe SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support Memory card reader Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader USB 2 x USB 2.0 2 x USB 3.0 FireWire No Modem/Ethernet Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN WiFi 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Bluetooth Yes Video interface HDMI, VGA Audio interface Headphone-out/microphone in TV output HDMI Expansion card slot No Sound Beats sound system Webcam HP TrueVision HD webcam Keyboard & Mouse Island-style keyboard Battery - 6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery - up to 7.5 hours battery life Additional features Integrated finger print reader Aluminium alloy chassis Accessories included Battery, power adaptor, documentation Size 374 x 245 x 30.5 mm (W x D x H) Weight 2.55 kg

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

sean_cov the spec looks good to me, which HP model is it? and how much? where from?

Like this post
sean_cov

Likes # 0

Its £499.99 from PC World refurbished. Its written as HP DV6-6052ea but I checked and thats a i7 so I think its a mistype somewhere...

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

It's shown here as an i5 - I guess the thing that bothers me is the word refurbished, I've had no experience with that. I would need to be absolutely sure about the warranty, particularly with PC World as you read quite a few horror stories on these forums about problems with the PC World group if things go wrong.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?