We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

new tv and external hard drive

rcpilot

Likes # 0

Hi I have already ordered but not taken delivery of a Toshiba 42sl863b tv the manual is downloadable from here http://eu.consumer.toshiba.eu/en/products/tv/42SL863#productDetailDownloads the business of being able to show blu ray video's that I have on my pc is daunting as the pc is upstairs and the tv will be downstairs routing hdmi cables to connect the pc to the tv is a no no, so I thought of buying an external hard drive and loading the blu ray files onto it and then taking it downstairs and pluging it into the tv, question is, as I know nothing in this area, would the tv be able to play them and how would I be able to control the hard drive

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Willing to be proved wrong but I doubt that it will work. My understanding is the USB HDD connection on the TV is to record programmes direct from the TV and then be able to play them back.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

My Philips TV has an input usb socket. for pen drives and I play my music from them. I doubt if your TV will open folders so everything will need to be individual files same as my mp3s. I keep meaning to try my pocket HDD on it. Otherwise try a media unit and plug HDD into that then to TV. Should then play most things.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Such as these: media players

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Not forgetting that your new tv has DLNA Capabilities..

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Think you will find your hard drive has to be formatted on one tv and will only work tv

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

the manual suggests there are 2 USB ports, the first will work as a media player allowing you to browse for video/music/pics on the HDD, the second will use the HDD as a PVR to record/playback TV.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

My Panny can use an external hard drive but they are primitive in asmuch as you can only record whats on scree

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

I think should have thunk before I posted Ha!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September