We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I tell if someone else is useing my wireless broadband?

Will
Resolved

Likes # 0

Useing cable broadband I have a desktop useing XP with a wireless router for my laptop useing windows 7 which downstairs. I notice the Modem is going hard even when I am not on the net or when I logback on after a break. I know the computer and modem maybe doing self checks etc but wonder if someone could be useing my wireless facility because I don't have any passwords for access to it, is there anyway I can tell?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

What security have you set your wireless connection to? for example WPA2

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

wonder if someone could be useing my wireless facility because I don't have any passwords for access to it

If you have not secured you wifi then you can almost guarantee someone near is utilising your bandwidth.

they could even be accessing files on your machine.

Some routers allow you to see the MAC address of devices connected to it.

Like this post
Will

Likes # 0

I don't have any form of protection on it as far as I know

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Then set up your router to WAP 2 as soon as possible, if you go to your ISP they will give you the option.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Look on the router for the make/model of router, then do a search for setting up security.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

How">http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/wireless/secure-your-wireless-router.html">How to secure your router

Do you have antivirus and antimalware on your PC?

Like this post
Will

Likes # 0

I use AVG

Like this post
Will

Likes # 0

Fruitbat, page not found on that link

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Like this post
Will

Likes # 0

Mike following up on your advice

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days