We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I tell if someone else is useing my wireless broadband?

Will
Resolved

Likes # 0

Useing cable broadband I have a desktop useing XP with a wireless router for my laptop useing windows 7 which downstairs. I notice the Modem is going hard even when I am not on the net or when I logback on after a break. I know the computer and modem maybe doing self checks etc but wonder if someone could be useing my wireless facility because I don't have any passwords for access to it, is there anyway I can tell?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Will

Try this link...CLICK HERE

Like this post
Will

Likes # 0

okay so I am still working on this :-). I am working on the desk top which is not wireless but is on the wired link ie modem, wireless router and then this computer. The OS is Win XP. I managed to identify the IP Address which is a generic one and put this into the address bar but it doesn't do anything to be honest just leads me to other advise pages and finding the "Password Option" doesn't really happen? Anybody any advice????

Like this post
Will

Likes # 0

Okay sorted eventually used the "Default Gateway" number instead of the "IP Address" which took me to the right page and I was able to set up WEP security for the wireless link. Thanks for the support out there.

Like this post  
Strawballs

Likes # 0

WEP is not very good (better than nothing) WPA would be better.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

WEP is so much better than no security, I wouldn't let the OP worry too much about it. It's working, it's secure, and it's pretty unlikely anyone is now using your broadband, or has acces to your computer. WPA, or WPA2 would be better, and it's worth researching them, and putting WPA2 in place when you can. But, don't lose sleep over it. :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...