We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDD format or repair utility wanted

Covergirl
Resolved

Likes # 0

I acquired a system containing a 200GB Seagate SATA HDD off a friend as there was something wrong with the system.

I fired it up off a Ubuntu disk and all seemed fine so I thought I'd install Ubuntu and use the system for something else.

The Ubuntu installation got most of the way through but hung before it completed (and I tried it several times), so now I thought I'd put it into my current system as a second HDD.

I physically installed the disk but it was not listed in the drives, although it was listed in Device Manager.

I then disconnected the original HDD to leave the "Ubuntu" HDD as the Master and thought that the system restore DVDs would find it, format it and install Vista HP on it, then all I'd have to do would be to insert the original HDD and use the newly formatted disk as the secondary.

However I get some message which says "FAILURE" formatting the disk.

Could anybody recommend a utility which I could download and burn to CD (or DVD) which would boot the system, find the disk and format it - low level or high level I'm not sure.

RSVP asap - many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I fired it up off a Ubuntu disk

Does the Ubuntu CD find the HDD if so use Gnome to format the drive to what ever format you need ext3/2 for linux fat32 or NTFS for Windows.

Like this post  
Covergirl

Likes # 0

I think the Ubuntu format must have failed for some reason, so I'll have another look and see if I can get Gnome working to format it to NTFS.

I'll be back . . . . . LoL

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Well, I've had a couple of promising messages to say Gnome has formatted the volume to FAT and then NTFS, I've just rebooted the system back to normality to make sure it's still working, so now I'm going to shut down and plug in the HDD.

Fingers crossed :)

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Can you connect it to your main machine as a second drive or as an external to be seen as such on the desktop? If so and it shows in my computer/or desktop as a drive Go to Control Panel Admin Tools /computer management/Storage detect it from there right click and format Or was that what you have been doing?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Can you connect it to your main machine as a second drive or as an external to be seen as such on the desktop? If so and it shows in my computer/or desktop as a drive Go to Control Panel Admin Tools /computer management/Storage detect it from there right click and format Or was that what you have been doing?

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Well, thank you "Fruit Bat /\0/\" for your suggestion - that appears to have put me on the right track.

I am now the proud owner of a new NTFS volume at J: containing 180GB of free space :)

SparkyJack yes, I had been doing something like that but as I said, somehow the Ubuntu format had failed so the drive was virtually inaccessible.

I didn't know about the Gnome utilities on the Ubuntu disk, but I do now !!

Cheers - another successful solution for PCA forums. Thread closed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?