We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

home wifi

mama11
Resolved

Likes # 0

how to setup a home wifi network with windows 7 ? I want to access internet of the main laptop (has internet using a dongle) for my other laptop which has no direct internet connection at the moment, but wifi enable.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

It very much depends on the dongle. Are you using one of the mobile dongles - otherwise known as a mifi? This can act as a wireless hub.

If you have this you will need to look at the settings for the device which you should have on your pc - other pc's will need to have access to the IP address of your dongle - or you can set up ICS as described in the article below.

If you have just an ordinary dongle it is possible that you can get an adapter into which you just plug in your dongle and it will act as a wireless hub.

It may also be possible to share your connection using ICS - Internet Connection Sharing - see this article but I don't know how effective this will be.

Like this post  
difarn

Likes # 1

Yes you can set up your pc with your dongle to become a wireless access point and other pc's can connect wirelessly via ICS to this provided that your dongle supports this - this article explains it very thoroughly.

Like this post
mama11

Likes # 0

Thx a lot for ur advice. It is a 3G mobile dongle(USB modem). I tried to bridge a connection as suggested by one of internet artical. But it does not allow mw to setup a bridge connection joining 3connect & Local Area Connection.

I really want to share this internet connection for my kids' laptop thru wifi.

I will try to do it with the link u sent.

Thanks Mama11

Like this post
mama11

Likes # 0

For ''ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)'' do I have to use network cables. I am trying for a wireless/wifi connection to share it.

Thanks Mama11

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...