We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recording TV Programmes on a USB memory stick

geek84

Likes # 0

Hi folks

I have recently bought a new TV and after reading the manual it seems that I can record programmes on a USB Memory Stick. The TV has a USB port.

My question is - Does the USB Stick have to be of a certain memory capacity for programmes to be recorded on it, or can it be a standard one - the types which can be used to record files from a PC?

Thanks

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

To record several programs or films you would need IMO a minimum USB flash drive of 18gb to record more than one program, you would also need to check on the format the drive need to be.

As a idea of space a program lasting 40 minutes recorded on my computer from the TV card uses approx 1.5gb depending on quality of recording a film about 4gb.

Look at your instructions if it allows a USB flash drive it may also allow you to record direct to a external HD connected via USB

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

geek84,

I have recently bought a TV from ebuyer that as a facility to record to a USD stick. I emailed them about how much recording I could fit on a 2gb USB stick This is the reply I received.

"Thank you for your contact with our Customer Support Team.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide an exact figure of how much you could record on a 2GB USB stick as this varies a lot depending on the channel and what you are recording.

The general rule we use is 1 hour of recording per GB.

Any USB stick 32GB or smaller should work fine with this TV".

I hope this is of some help.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I would suggest you record onto your hard drive first then cut (or copy) to your USB stick. The reason being that the Hard drive will save data faster than a USB drive and there is less chances of error.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days