We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help! Dual boot pc not booting.

computerdiv

Likes # 0

Dear forum. I have a problem booting my pc. I have win 7 on 500gb and win xp on 1tb hdd installed and another 1tb hdd. Neither o/s will boot up. Running 8800 gtx 2.4ghz quad core pentium 6600. When I boot I get the mobo (ASUS PK7) flash up and can access the bios. If I try to boot straight from win 7 I get a cursor that flashes eternally. I don't get a choice to boot from either o/s. My first guess was that I had fried my pentium chip but as I seem to be prompted to install windows or repair it with the dvd I now think it is ok. When I tried to repair win 7 o/s using the dvd the disc promted me to choose an o/s to repair but no o/s appeared in the window to choose from. I removed each hdd and tested them on my laptop with a dock and the xp and win 7 hdd seemed ok. I could not see the apps on the other hdd so maybe I have a problem with that hdd. I have tried to boot from both o/s 1 at a time and still have no o/s to boot from.

can any one give some advice as to what might be wrong.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

See if you can get the Repair options when you repeatedly press F8 on boot (although they may be the same as when you tried from DVD)

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Make sure you haven't got any flash sticks/memory cards left in any slots or a disc in the optical drive of course.

Like this post
computerdiv

Likes # 0

Ok I think my boot log has gone for a burton. I have tried bootrec/fixmbr but bootrec/fixboot doesn't work. Can someone help with Diskpart please

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Try Partition Wizard Bootable CD

(burn on your laptop)

It has an Update MBR facility too. Although I have never used that on a dual boot machine.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

edit: Rebuild MBR facility

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Rather than trying to repair the MBR/Boot sector i would try recreate the BCD store completely

Boot to Windows PE via your Windows 7 disk and at the command prompt type the following

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup c: cd boot attrib bcd -s -h -r ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old bootrec /RebuildBcd

then reboot

Like this post
computerdiv

Likes # 0

I have recovered win 7 installation now thanks to a post I found about going to full install option and then going back a step to repair option to get a hdd option in system recovery window. I then just did a normal recovery and all ran OK. thank you for every bit of help offered.

I now have a new problem concerning my win xp installation.

When I had no O/S system booting I made a new partition using a laptop and dock on win xp hdd to try to install a new win 7 O/S if needed. As it happened I recovered the win 7 O/S before needing to do that. After booting in to win 7 and exploring my hdd I no longer had the win xp O/S as an option and the hdd is only showing as being 64GB in size instead of 1Tb. So can you please tell me how I can recover the win xp installation?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July