We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Monitor goes to sleep!

poshbird 39

Likes # 0

hi, Can anyone help, my monitor displays'going to sleep'. The computer starts up but I have no picture on the monitor. It even does this when the computer is turned off.

Does this mean I need to purchase a new monitor do you think?

Please advise. :)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check your monitor's manual how to set it up via the buttons you usually find on the right hand side of the screen. Might be set-up wrongly so try auto set-up. It will 'sleep' if PC is shut-down.

It could be your graphics card has failed, so look at the back of the PC to see if you have more than one connection for the monitor, if so, try the other one and boot up.

If the monitor shows 'going to sleep' then that makes me think the unit is OK as it shows some graphics.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

See if it will start in safe mode.Just keep tapping F8 or F5 as the computer starts. If it starts you could try last good configuration or system restore.But check device manager first to see if it shows any problems. Or try another monitor and if that works you know it is your monitor that is the problem.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

The way I read it, you're saying that the monitor isn't displaying a single thing from the PC?

If this is the case then there is a problem with the connection somewhere. Make sure the cable is in properly and check that if you have a graphics card then the monitor is plugged in to that and not in to the motherboard.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

D@ve, the monitor displays 'going to sleep'.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Don't know why that posted but to continue, it might be the GPU card is dead, that's why I suggested trying the onboard if there is one.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Yes, that would imply it's not receiving a signal, and hence going in to standby mode.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback