We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Android Tablet Video Format

theearlofsabden

Likes # 0

Hi

I have an Acer Iconia A501 tablet running Android Gingerbread 2.3.

I have downloaded video in WMV format from the BBC iPlayer and would like to play it on the tablet. The Inconia tab does not support WMV file formats. I have software on my PC called Format Factory that allows video file conversion. I have tried WMV to AVI, to MP4, to AVI and so on but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas on how to play downloaded WMV video files on a tablet running Android?

Thanks Neil.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Where to get BBC iPlayer Click here

How do I get the BBC iPlayer app on my Android device? Click here

Like this post
theearlofsabden

Likes # 0

The iplayer app need a WiFi connection.

I just want to play via the Acer's media centre. I have tried converting the WMV files to AVI, MP4 and so on but they won't play.

Any ideas?

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Any ideas?:

Just one, The answer is in this Click here

Like this post
theearlofsabden

Likes # 0

I will give it a go and feed back later. Thanks.

Like this post
theearlofsabden

Likes # 0

asking for payment...........

The link provided for Audials is asking for payment to convert to ipod/ipad files. It will only convert in free format to the standard mp3/4/avi format.

there must be a free alternative that than simply convert BBC iPlayer downloaded media files to play on an android tablet?

Like this post
harry12

Likes # 0

Try a different video player, I use MX Video player, which is free.

Like this post
theearlofsabden

Likes # 0

MX Video Player (thank you)..... downloaded to my tablet... but....

I must be doing something wrong, MX Video Player installed on my Acer tablet, found updated codec files, installed them too, but on playing a downloaded video in WMV format from the BBC iPlayer all I get is a garbled mess of coloured boxes in the video screen.

What i've done; Downloaded video in BBC default Windows Media Format from the BBC iPlayer (Sherlock Homes Part 1) onto a pen drive.

Inserted pen drive into tablet - default Acer media player finds my pen drive, finds the video file - but won't play.

I have converted this video file (Sherlock Homes) from WMV to MP4, AVI and even the Android file format from various online downloadable programs.

... all will not playback the video file... all I get is a mess of colour and tiny pixel boxes.

MX Video Player now installed on my tablet. Pen drive inserted, it lists all my video content, but again on playback it's a mess of tiny pixel boxes and flashing colour.

Any help with be appreciated!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK