We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I assemble Kindle collection on PC to transfer.

canarieslover
Resolved

Likes # 0

As it appears to be quite long winded to assemble a collection on the Kindle I am looking for a way of assembling on my PC and then transferring to the Kindle. As yet I have not been able to find where the Kindle stores it's information for collections or in what format.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I do not think it is possible because once you have them on your computer, you can transfer them many times, and they call that piracy.

This link may help you.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=transfer%20kindle%20to%20computer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np

Terry

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

The Kindles books are in the 'Documents' folder on the Kindle.

You can just copy or drag them into this folder.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

Mobi format.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Terry Brown Not pirated but downloaded 'freebies' from Amazon, Project Guttenberg, etc. I can freely move these from my PC to the Kindle by drag 'n drop to the Documents folder on the Kindle as indicated by ton.. I can then create 'Collections' on the Kindle. What I would like to do is create these collections on the PC before I do the transfer as it is a bit slow doing it with the Kindle keyboard when you have Arthritis. Some are .mobi files and others are .azw if that makes any difference.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

Ah, I think I now see what you want to do.

However, I don't think it is possible as the 'collections' don't appear on the PC as a separate folder. (I think they just appear as a folder on the Kimble software).

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

There may be a way, with software on your PC.

I've just found this http://www.colegate.net/KindleCollectionManager/

I haven't tried it so I don't know if it is any good, but I am going to try it.

Like this post  
ton

Likes # 0

I have tried the above free software and it does work.

What you need to do is to copy all your books to your kindle first, then you can sort them into collections on your PC using the above software (with the kindle connected to PC with cable).

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

ton

Thanks, I will try that software today. I have also found that there is a plug-in for Calibre that appears to do the same job. That also needs you to transfer the books to Kindle first and I also found that I needed to create my 'Collection' names as well before using it. It is still a lot easier than trying to do it all on the Kindle.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

ton

I have tried Kindle Collection Manager and it is really just what I wanted. It is better if you transfer books in folders relative to the collection and then you can open folder on Kindle in Collection Manager and create Collection from all files and then give it the name you want all on the PC. Much easier for me than the Calibre plug-in.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do