We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless network security

RISC OS user
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have added a new Laptop to my network, and it is via wireless my, 2 other computers are connected via a LAN. At first I was not able to get a connection even though my Internet Access was showing "Strength Excellent". Each time I was asked to enter my security code and each time was not able to connect. I have now changed the configuration on my Router as below:-

Wireless Access Point - PlusnetWireless

Configuration

Interface Enabled: Yes Physical Address: XXXXXXXXXXXXX Network Name (SSID): PlusnetWireless Interface Type: 802.11b/g Actual Speed: 54 Mbps Channel Selection: Manual Region: Europe Channel: 1 Allow multicast from Broadband Network: Yes WMM: enabled

Security

Broadcast Network Name: Yes Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed (automatically) Security Mode: WPA-PSK WPA-PSK Preshared Key: XXXXXXXXXXXX WPA-PSK Encryption: AES WPA-PSK Version: WPA2

My concern is "Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed (automatically)" is this leaving my network open to all? If I change the "Allow New Devices:" back to "New stations are allowed via registration" I am not able to connect. what should I do?

Like this post
RISC OS user

Likes # 0

Thanks, that puts my mind at rest.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite