We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Strange selective access on wireness network.

Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

At this moment I don't have a problem, but yesterday something strange happened that I am intrigued to get an explanation for. It may be a coincidence, or may be relevant, but yesterday I installed a new wireless router. No problem with the installation of the router on the network, which is 3 PCs a printer and a couple of wireless devices, but a couple of hours later I lost my internet connection.

The modem was working normally - confirmed. The network was working normally, in that I could see all the connected devices and use them. The network icon on my desktop (W7 Pro 64 bit) was showing normal on all PCs, but no internet.

Now the strange bit. All the time this was happening, somebody on one of the other PCs on the network was having a live conversation on Windows Live Messenger. When I rebooted the modem, I still had no internet, but the Messenger discussion was able to continue after the reboot.

Later, internet access returned, and has been no problem since.

Any explanations?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There are a few blogs on the web about similar things happening because it interrupts the IP configuration. In addition there is advice to make sure that you have downloaded the latest version of Internet Explorer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide