We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

With or without OS?

fedex1969

Likes # 0

I've seen a few pc's for sale with no OS. The prices for these are very reasonable, the Zoostorm for example. Is it safe to buy a budget pc with no OS then purcahse and install my own W7? My mind's telling me NO!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Is it safe of course it is.

However it my be more expensive, the plus point is, if you install a retail version (rather than OEM that would come with the machine), it is transferable to another machine if you decide to exchange for a better one in the future.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just check for Customer reviews before buying.

I bought mine from E-Buyer and the OS from Amazon.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Virtually all the computers I have bought have had the OS installed by the manufacturer and all, without exception, have given me trouble.

Having uninstalled the OS on each one, and the bought and installed the full copy of XP, Vista and Win7 respectively, I have had no problems whatsoever.

In my opinion, most of the problems are caused by the manufacturer making up one OS disk (with all associated crud) and then installing this on each machine it makes regardless of whether it is a laptop, desktop or whatever using multiple licences.

So my advice is to buy the OS seperately and install it yourself.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Brilliant if you intend to install Linux, because its free you are not paying the extra for the O/S so you are able to get a very reasonable machine for a decent price, that's what I've done just recently from Ebuyer.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If you have a windows 7 license , you can download the windows 7 iso from (Official Microsoft site)

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

or for other versions click this link http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I just noticed you are looking at the Zoostorm, that is the one I bought and I'm very happy with it. I've put a big NVidia graphics card in it, so I can run my flight sim at a reasonable speed and beefed up the memory to 4GB.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback