We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Solar panels circuit diagram

Graham*

Likes # 0

Had Solar Panels fitted on my roof yesterday. The electrician fitted an existing energy meter, at my request, to display the output from the panels. She must have clamped it on the wrong cable - this morning it was reading 540W in a sunny spell. The maximum output is 270W.

I have another energy meter on the way from eBay. The plan is to have one on the Mains as well as the Solar so I can adjust my usage to minimise paying for Mains electricity.

So I need a diagram...

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

You might be better off with an Inport/Export Meter at the Mains. Some Electrical Suppliers call it a Micro Generation Meter.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Odd. - Did the Solar Panel people fitting the panels not supply a meter to display the output? How will you adjust your usage?

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Yes they did, in the loft.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

The display is cycling.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I had a remote reader with my Solar Panels which indicates, 1) Current production, 2) Production for the day and 3) Total production from the start. You say max output 270W. Do you mean achieved for a particular period? I have a Total System of 3.92kWH and at this time of the year has produced over the past week between 0.92/1.92kWh per day. I do not grasp as to how you intend to adjust your useage?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

270 Watts maximum? Or is that figure the maximum you expect in these short days with heavy overcast?

Photovoltaic installations seem to have as many variants as computers and software.

If you are into that level of DIY then you are probably aware of the requirements to have everything wired or at least checked through by a certified electrician, and be registered with your supply authority at least to connect with the mains and of course hopefully qualify for a FiT.

When my system was commisioned and I applied for the FiT one of the questions was "Does your [supply] meter run backwards?" I phoned to ask about this and another matter and the nice lady at the other end said some of the old meters do!

I have a small meter in the porch which measures the total generated so far, but if I go into the roof space, a panel on the inverter will give me a read-out of practically everything I could wish to know and a lot more.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

If your meter does run backwards that could be construed as theft?????

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......