We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Vista/7 compatibility.

fedex1969

Likes # 0

I'm soon to be buying a new pc. My existing is running windows vista. If my new pc has windows 7, will it recognise files, photos, etc., saved in windows vista when I transfer them? Any advice much appreciated.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I think the simple answer is Yes. Windows 7 is a much more refined version of Vista and photos, documents etc. will be recognised after they are transferred but of course you will need to install the associated programmes.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

chub-tor is correct the answer is yes http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/videos/transferring-files-and-settings-from-another-pc Here is how from the microsoft website

Like this post
fedex1969

Likes # 0

Many thanks guys. The wife would smack me into next week if I lose all the family photos. ;-/

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

"The wife would smack me into next week if I lose all the family photos"

Do you have a back-up or are you just hoping that the HDD will never crash?

Like this post
fedex1969

Likes # 0

All taken care of. External HDD and good old compact disc.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

External HDD is fine - CDs and DVDs degrade over time (sometimes only a couple of years).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks