We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB speed up info!!

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon, Everyone

I don't know if anyone remembers me saying that my computer booted up and shut down very slowly.

Weeeell! Just for information - so I don't know if it will work on other computers!!! - I have had a completely accidental spped up of both. One of the things I liked with USB pen drives was that you could plug them in and forget them, but they were always available, immediately. I decided to do a re-arrangement and removed all bar one of the four I had, and I then re-started my computer. I then realised that it had started very quickly, and I thought I had imagined it so I shut down and it was so fast I was gobsmacked. I then started it up and I realised what had happened, in the days since then the timings - if anything - I would say have, possibly, even decreased a little more. So I am now keeping all my pen drives handy so I can plug them in when I want, the time differential is much more than worth it!!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes because you probably have the BIOS set to boot from USB or boot from Other Devices.

The BIOS will search all devices connected looking for operating systems to boot from.

So if you have USB pens / external drives connected at boot its going to slow your boot time considerably.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Were any set to be used as Readyboost (W7 and Vista) I wonder.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Gentlemen, Good Morning

Fruit Bat /\0/\

My BIOS is, was and will continue to be set to my hd first and my CD second and they are the only settings I have in my BIOS!! I do not know - apart from pressing F8 how to get to any other settings, but tha is all I can access!!

mooly,

Interesting point!!! I have checked my pen drives and one was set to ReadyBoost!! I am not sure how it happened, but I have disabled it, and it is now - mostly - not connected anyway!

Many thanks to both of you for your replies.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Thanks for the update :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer