We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pc not recognising card readers

Petesilver

Likes # 0

I have no idea why but my card readers on my pc and the printer are not recognised by the computer although the light come on which seems to mean the actual readers work ok I cannot see or find any trace in "my computer" I have not done anything unusual as far as I recall, must admit I am just puzzled ? can any suggest where to start to look ?? I have tried various cards XD & SD but neither comes up.

Like this post
johnathann

Likes # 0

Are you getting any notification that a new device has been detected?

If not the USB port may be disabled or some kind of software should be installed to make the card reader detectable.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Op system? XP Vista W7?

Look in device manager and see if they show up under usb devices and / or drives

Like this post
Petesilver

Likes # 0

No notification.... However I tried the following I go into "safely remove hardware" and it is shown in there but I still cannot open the card but it gives me the option the eject the card so I clicked that and I get the following message...

"Removable Disc G in currently use Save any open files on disc or programs before trying again. If you choose to continue the files will close and you may lose data."

So I chose to continue and it confirms it is now safe to take out the card, So after I reinsert the card and it loads correctly, strange indeed ??, the same happens on both the PC card reader and the Printers card reader...

However after a reboot I am back to square one with the above having to do all the above to get a card to be read .................. Perhaps this info may help someone to advise me, I have check in device manager and all readers are saying they are all working properly.

Like this post
Petesilver

Likes # 0

sorry Fruit Bat I should have put that first W7 64 Bit as per my last posting I have checked device manager and all seems ok

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Could be Ghost devices in device manager causing conflicts.

You need to View hidden devices in device manager (probably need to do as an administrator)

All the extra devices that show up (in light print) will need to be selected and uninstalled.

When you have uninstalled them all reboot and retry your card readers.

Like this post
Petesilver

Likes # 0

I was wondering if any one can explain why the above always happens, so to recap the only way I can use the card reader is the cancel the first insertion using safe to remove and reinserting the card and it works ok but it is a rather long winded way ??????????? Any Suggestions

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

I don't know if this will help but NirSoft has a free utility that can help in sorting USB related issues. The amount of data that windows keeps regarding devices you have used in the past in beyond comprehension. All NirSoft utilities are spyware free.

This program that does not need installation is worth looking at just to see what windows does keep.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdevicesview.html

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Hmmmm, I don't seem to have the hang of dropping links into this forum so go http://www.nirsoft.net/ & look for USBDeview under the heading 'Freeware System Tools'.

Must read the site destruction's.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia