We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Disappointed re RAM increase - ? something I should do, pls???

AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi I've recently bought an Acer Aspire One D257 netbook, running Win7 Starter and Android. It came with 1Gb RAM

Last week, I got 2Gb RAM from Crucial, as specified by them that was appropriate, fitted it with no problems, the netbook started up straight away.

However, I'm very disappointed as I don't see any difference from before the change of RAM. I have to admit to not having timed different actions, ie opening specific web pages, keeping up with typing in email etc but I had got the impression from reading around the subject, that there would be a noticeable improvement.

So, have I missed doing something? Do I have to 'tell' the machine the RAM is upgraded (can't believe one has to do that!!!!)

Hopefully, someone can just point me in the right direction. My other option is to try to contact Crucial and see if they can advise.

Thanks for any help Cheers

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Me too! All the netbooks I've seen have only one slot (space considerations I suppose), and although 4Gb sticks are available, I've yet to find a netbook board that will support that. Only a matter of time, I suppose, with the rate at which things change!

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

A netbook is of course limited by it's CPU as well. I had one and quickly found it was not suited for what I wnated it to do due to this limitation, so sold it. Now have a proper laptop, an acer 5552g with 8g of ddr3 ram and graphics. I am very pleased with it, playing games, surfing, photo editing and imaging. It's a quad core with W7 64bit. 32bit limits you to 4g usable memory.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Also as others have mentioned, W7 starter is extremely limited. However I don't think there will be much improvement in speed even if you upgrade to W7 32/64 bit proper as the netbook can only take up to 2g ram max, I believe. Given that W7 needs at least 2gram just to ran it you'll be faced with the same limitations. That said, a netbook is meant for just surfing the web, emailing, word processing etc., pretty basic stuff.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try Start and type McAfee into the box and see what it comes up with,If it shows anything maybe download and run the McAfee removal tool that Mooly suggested.

And yes I would download the Malwarebytes and run that it will give you the option of using the pro version for a fortnight do that as it will revert back to the free version after the fortnight.

Actually maybe best paying for the pro version if you like it.It is a one off payment and if you Google for Malwarebytes coupon codes you can get it even cheaper.

Look in Device Manager to see if any drivers need updating.

Or maybe do a Factory restore to see if you can get it working better.Remember you would loose anything that you have downloaded unless you can save it.

have you ran Clean up yet.

My Computer.Right click on C Drive and click on properties.Then run clean up.It will also tell you what free disc space you have left,You need 20% left or around that,Under that and it could start causing problems.

Do you use Windows Defender,If not go into services and disable it.

Make sure Avast is not set to run a scan at start up either do it manually or set it to a different time.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I bought my daughter the same machine. I really wanted an XP machine, as W7 - even in its Starter version - uses more memory, and I was nervous about the D257 only having 1GB. Sure enough, the netbook suffered from occasional multi-second freezes. So, like you, I upgraded the RAM (a nerve-wracking experience, especially reattaching the keyboard). What I would say is: the netbook didn't run noticeably faster - but the freezes were entirely eliminated, making it much more usable. So, what I'd say is: I'm not surprised you didn't see a performance increase - but you have probably pre-empted the situation arising where it would freeze. Thus - still a worthwhile investment, even if it hasn't done exactly what you'd hoped.

And yes, the D257 is certainly limited to 2GB.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014