We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do I need a Firewire Card in a new computer, or should I fix my old one?

Roystonred

Likes # 0

I have an Acer Computer which on the front is listed as a T135-T970 with 80GB HDD and 512 MB DDR Ram, the properties show that it has an AMD Sempron processor 3100+ It also shows 1.81GHz and 448 MB Ram. I suspect that it does not have an 80GB HDD as the C disc capacitiy under properties shows as 35.5GB. As I sometimes upload videos from my old 8mm camcoorder for editing, I had a firewire card fitted and use a Canopus ADVC-55 device to convert to a digital input. I use a windows XP operating system. My computer is now very slow, sometimes freezes, and sometimes has to be switched off and on again to 'unfreeze' it. I tried having XP reinstalled and this proved to be a waste of time. I have thought about purchasing a new computer, but can't find out if they come with a firewire card, or the equivilent already fitted (the Canopus does not use USB connectors and I don't know if you can purchase adaptors). I asked one supplier if there was capacity to fit a firewire card, they said yes but if I did the 2 year guarantee, would be invalidated. So my question (sorry to take so long about getting to the point) is do modern computers have the equivilent of a firewire card fitted and if so how can I connect my Canopus to it. Or would I be better of trying to get my present computer upgraded and sorted out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

This article may help you. Seems like a bit of a threat from the possible supplier of a new PC that it would invalidate the guarantee - you could think about having one built by an independent company and then you can have what you want. Looking at the cost of some firewire cards they are about £145 which would probably be better spent on a new, purpose built PC to your own specifications.

You have to weigh this up against upgrading your present PC.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

There is nothing to stop you removing your firewire card from your computer and installing it in your new one.

If you intend doing a lot of video work then I would say that your current machine will struggle. Most new machines will have an option for a firewire connection. Whether these will be actually wired up or not, depends on the manufacturer.

I fitted a firwire card to my machine last year. I got it from Amazon and the cost was £6.97. It even included a Sony lead in the kit!! Took all of ten minutes to fit and works perfectly.

With most manufacturers, fitting a firewire card will not invalidate your guarantee. But, I would contact them first if only out of courtesy.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Think I was looking at the price of expensive expansion cards - Amazon does indeed have a range of inexpensive firewire cards.

Like this post
Roystonred

Likes # 0

Thanks very much for the information, I have contacted the Head Office of the Company which said they would withdraw the guarantee on a Computer if a firewire card was fitted, and am at present waiting for an answer. Obviously if its negative I will buy a Computer elsewhere.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

While you are at it, why not ask them to fit a firewire card during the build process? If they say they will, and tell you it will cost anything over £10, I would inform them that they can stick their machine "where the sun don't shine", and pick a different manufacturer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...