We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

accessing ftp and uploading on laptop after main pc died...

jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

Hi, I have the files for the website saved on the laptop, i just want to continue to update websites with laptop, using same software dreamweaver and when it comes to upload the sites don't exist in the ftp/manage files section..? I don't want to mess up things also, by confusing it by uploading from a different place if this is possible? help please!! cheers John

Like this post
STREETWORK

Likes # 1

Just log into your website as usual. Once in navigate to where you have saved the files on the laptop and then upload from there. To make the changes as you had on the other PC would require you to associate the webpages with dreamweaver and then save them in the dreamweaver directory as it was when using the PC...

Like this post
jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

hi thanks for that, i've managed to do this like you said via the extend section of heart internet... my confusion was that I am used to seeing the files in the manage sites section on dreamweaver and 'putting' files directly through dreamweaver.. the sites arent visible on dreamweaver which I find strange as its still same package on a different computer? and the get/put options are greyed out when i try to upload ammended pages directly... cheers

Like this post
STREETWORK

Likes # 0

After you have set up Dreamweaver on your new computer, do the following. 1. Attach your external drive (be it a flash/thumb drive or a hard disk) to the computer. Drag your website folder from that drive to a location of your choice on your new computer. If you don't know where on your new computer to put it, just drag the folder onto your Desktop.

2. Start up Dreamweaver.

3. Click the "Site | Manage Sites..." menu item.

4. The Site Manager should appear. Since this is the first time you're starting the Site Manager on this new computer, the list of sites you normally see on the left side of the box should be empty. Click the "Import..." button.

5. The "Import Site" dialog box will appear. Locate the site definition file that you exported earlier (the one with the ".ste" extension that I told you to memorize or note down earlier), click it once to select it, and click the "Open" button.

6. You will probably get another dialog box immediately after you do that. This dialog box will have a title of "Choose local root folder for site [your-site-name]", where "[your-site-name]" is the name of your site. Locate the folder that you just copied to your computer. If you followed my suggestion above, it should be on your desktop. (Important: I'm referring to the folder you just copied onto your Desktop, not the temporary copy on your USB flash drive.) Click it once to select it, then click the "Open" (or "Select") button. It's possible that Dreamweaver will open the folder instead of selecting it, and present you with another dialog box with a "Select" button. Just click the "Select" button this second time round.

7. You will then be returned to the Manage Sites dialog box, with your website listed on the left.

Click the "Edit" button to invoke the Site Definition and browse through all the settings to make sure that everything was carried over correctly. That is, just click the Next button and read each screen. Pay special attention to the window that says "Editing Files, Part 3" with the question "Where on your computer do you want to store your files?". Make sure that the folder in the field below is correct. If it is not, manually enter the correct folder. In some situations, I noticed that Dreamweaver does not record the correct folder name. For example, if your local web folder is supposed to be "c:\Users\chris\Desktop\thesitewizard\", Dreamweaver may record it as "c:\Users\chris\Desktop\", that is, wrongly omitting the final folder in the path (ie, location). If this is true for you, just append the missing folder name ("thesitewizard" in my case, yours will be different) followed by a final backslash ("\") to the existing text already there.

Continue to click the "Next" button, checking all the settings, until you reach the window with the "Done" button. Click it. Dreamweaver will then update all your site files and settings before returning you to the Site Manager screen again. Click "Done".

8. If you have set the folder name correctly, you should be able to see your website files listed in the FILES panel in the bottom right column of the Dreamweaver window. (You may have to click the "+" beside your site name in that panel to expand the list of files.)

If you don't see your web pages there, but either see an empty list or a list of files not belonging to your website (like all your desktop icons and shortcuts), the folder name was probably not entered correctly. Invoke the Site Manager again, click the "Edit" button, followed by the "Next" button until you get to the window with the folder name, and fix it there. When you're done, remember that you must click the "Next" button till you reach the last screen, followed by the "Done" button after that. (That is, do not dismiss the Site Manager by hitting the ESC key or the "X" close button on the top of the dialog box, or you may lose the changes you've made.)

Once you've done the above, you should be able to work on your web pages as you did previously on your old computer, without having to redo anything. In fact, the state of your files should be exactly as it was when you last left your previous machine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...