We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MS Outlook not activated

Tony Jones

Likes # 0

I originally installed a trial version of Office 2010 from a PCA DVD and subsequently uprgraded to (and paid for) the full version. All segements work fine except Outlook, which insists that my trial period has expired and I need to upgrade. However, re-entering the product code has not effect.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Regards Tony Jones

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Which version of Office 2010 did you pay for? Not all versions include Outlook.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

It depends which version you purchased. The Home & Student version does not come with Outlook

Like this post
Tony Jones

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info. That's the problem. I was originally running the previous version of Office but then installed the Office Professional 2010 Beta from the DVD that came with March 2010 issue. But for reasons I can't remember, I subsequently downloaded and paid for the Home and Student version. Perhaps it was a bit cheaper?

Rather than buying Outlook on its own, would anyone care to recommend a non-MS contacts handler. That's the only bit of Outlook I'm interested in; I'm not worried about total integration with my email client as I use Thunderbird for that.

Many thanks Tony Jones

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Just a thought - if you have the previous office version, did that include Outlook? If so could you just do a custom install of Outlook only? There's not reason why it should not work. For example, I have Office 2007 H&S version and Outlook 2003 standalone running side by side without a problem.

Like this post
Tony Jones

Likes # 0

That's a great thought Quizman. I'm sure it would work, but I've since found an nice free address book programme called Efficient Address book which seems to do everything I need. It even imported my old Outlook contacts without any problem!

Best wishes Tony Jones

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes