We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Firewall has changed its restrictions

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

I use PC Tools Firewall Plus which has worked in its default settings for some years. In the past 48hours it has suddenly started to play up in that it will allow access to all sites in the 'normal' mode but will only allow access to MS Updates and some other MS sites if it is downgraded to 'Allow' mode.

Has anyone any experience of problems of this nature or can provide suggestions as to the cause?

Thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps not the answer you want, but is a Windows firewall anything to do with the change?.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I had update problems a few months ago with PCTools firewall and W7. I got rid of it and switched to the W7 firewall on advice from forum members - so far, so good. I have checked and found my PC is "invisible".

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Problem with the Windows firewall is that I am running XP Pro SP3 which has a limited Windows firewall.

Everything has been fine for well over a year and even after the last updates all was well. The only difficulty recently was with .NET Framework which became corrupt (again) and needed a complete reinstall. The corruption of .NET Framework has occurred before and re-installation has never caused a problem like this.

PC Tools Firewall automatically shuts the Windows firewall down on installation so I doubt there is any interaction as it is not possible to start the Windows firewall with the other installed.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

To prove it was the firewall that was the cause of my problems, I uninstalled it and started the Windows firewall. All now works as advertised as far as site connectivity is concerned; hopefully it will resolve the situation until I can find what the cause was.

I am still open to suggestions.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

No one any ideas?

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad