We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Security on Windows ME

bruno

Likes # 0

My neighbour has just gone online today after having her PC since 2000! She has joined Sky broadband and managed to install it OK. They offer a free rial with McAfee, which does not install for her. I had a look and tried AVG and Avast and another one whose name escapes me now. All were rejected as being too new for ME. Does anybody know where I can get a free programme which will work?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"being to new for ME"

That's a new one, because ME is an old Windows operating system. The problem is possibly that the programs that you have tried to install are no longer supported to run with ME?.

You could check http://www.majorgeeks.com and see if there is any information on downloads for ME. It might also be possible to contact Sky broadband support and see if they have any suggestions.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Spuds

I think you have misread as The AV programs are too new for ME.

Bruno

Have a look here for older ME compatable fersions of Avast Click here

Like this post
bruno

Likes # 0

My expression "too new" were my words-not very good ones. Basically they said the download was not suitable for this version of Windows. I will try that site, thanks for suggesting it. I never used ME,so I am a bit ignorant about it.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Your neighbour needs to be aware that Windows ME is no longer supported by Microsoft and almost certainly has a number of non-patched fundamental security flaws (as will whatever version of Internet Explorer and probably any other browser that she uses).

A firewall and anti-virus will help, but are by no means fool-proof.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer