We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook express problem recording sent e-mails

pwill
Resolved

Likes # 0

I use Outlook Express 6 with Windows XP. My PC has recently developed an intermittent fault where outgoing e-mails remain in the Outbox folder despite having been sent successfully, instead of being moved automatically to the Sent Items folder. This means that the recipient receives a new copy of the e-mail every five minutes, and the e-mail never appears in my Sent Items folder. This seems to happen to about half of my outoing e-mails but there seems to be no pattern as to which ones are affected. Can anyone advise how to solve this please ?

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

I would suggest that your Outbox is corrupted. Open OE and go to Tools menu - Options - Maintenance tab and click on Store Folder. Place the cursor on the address and right-click - select all. Then right-click again and Copy. Close down Options box and OE - then go to Start - Run - and right-click in run box - select Paste. The box that opens is all your .dbx files. Find the Outbox and delete it. Close the box - then open OE again, and there will be a new Outbox created. Hopefully it should now work. IMPORTANT - make sure OE is closed while you are using the Run box and deleting.

Like this post
pwill

Likes # 0

Thank you very much. Even after following these very clear instructions to delete the outbox, I am still experiencing the same problem however.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

It is worth trying the same process, and deleting the Deleted folder. Plus your Sent items folder may be too full. Try creating a new folder (as a sub folder of Local Folders) and transfer all messages you want to that - then also delete the Sent Items folder as above.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

If you still have no luck you could work your way through this Microsoft website

OE basic repair kit

Like this post
pwill

Likes # 0

Apologies for the delay in responding. Deleting the Sent folder as you suggested has solved the problem, as it must have been full. I did reduce the number of e-mails in that folder by 90% about a week ago in case that was the problem - but it seems that removing e-mails does not of itself create any space, which is what confused me. Many thanks for providing me with the solution.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Yes, as you discovered you need to compact as well.

Glad to know it was sorted, and thanks for the feedback.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......