We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Removal of Corrupt Documents

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have two documents that were sent by e-mail and have a .docx suffix. I saved them to My Documents folder but have the original e-mails as well. Both claim they are opened using Word but when this is attempted they report they are corrupt and cannot be opened. They open correctly from the e-mail attachment location.

It is not possible to change the suffix to .doc, .txt, .old or any other suffix - again because they report as corrupt - and all attempts at deleting them using deletion tools (Unlocker, Glary Utilities, Spyware Terminator removal tool and similar) have failed. They cannot be moved to any other location either.

I tried booting fro the UBCD disk and deleting when not actually booted into Windows, but this also failed.

Does anyone know or can suggest a method to remove these documents from my PC?

With thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What version of word are you trying to open them with?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en

MS compatability

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I'm using Word 2002. But I'm not sure what you are saying given the documents attached to the e-mails open correctly in the same program??

As an aside your link fails to load - it simply is 'Waiting for...' continuously.

Like this post
Drum

Likes # 0

Link worked fine for me.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Puzzled that you cannot delete them. Have you done a virus scan on them?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

docx can only be opened by MS Office2010 or later

link was to a MS tool to allow them to be opened by older versions of office.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - I'm sure that you mean Office 2007 or later.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

".....and all attempts at deleting them using deletion tools .... have failed. They cannot be moved to any other location either.....I tried booting fro the UBCD disk and deleting when not actually booted into Windows, but this also failed."

Given all those symptoms John, it sounds very much like this this is a file-system problem. If it is then you should be able to resolve it easily by doing a standard CHKDSK on the volume that contains those files. After it's completed, see if you can now delete them.

If you need step-by-step instructions then you'll need to post back your version of Windows.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I have run CHKDSK which found nothing.

After much time - perhaps site loading - I managed to get into the link but it refused to download giving me the 'error' message.

I have a feeling it may all be down to the holiday season as I can't get into MS Updates either.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I have run CHKDSK which found nothing"

That should work for files that claim to be corrupt so that's a disappointing result. Did you do the standard check or the full one that checks for bad sectors too? If it was the former then try again with the full one.

Here are some other things to try:

1) Take ownership of the files, grant yourself Full Control and then see if you can delete them. If you're running XP Home then you'll need to boot into Safe Mode to change the file permissions.

2) Ensure that the files aren't read only.

3) Boot into "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and try to delete them from there.

4) Let us know the version of Windows you're running and the complete error messages you're receiving.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I have done all the above without success and I still have a connection problem with MS Update and similar. When trying to connect I get the message "This program cannot display the webpage".

Obviously I can connect to here but not other sites.

Hang on, I just disabled my firewall (PC Tools Firewall Plus) which has never stopped access before and suddenly I can get to MS Updates. Will need to check this out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia