We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sony Dongle to connect to TV

doz123

Likes # 0

Hi can anyone help me in simple terms. I have just purchased a Sony KDL40ex523 and a Dongle.

I have tried to follow Sony instructions for the dongle which are rubbish.

First what is my WPA key no could it be 192.168.1.254, this appears as my default gateway on my PC.

IP address is 192.168.1.64 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 Can anyone explain to me how I set my screen up, I am at a total loss any help would be appreciated.

P.S. do I say No to proxy server.

My Wireless router is Thomson 585

Like this post
doz123

Likes # 0

No Had to insert dongle in the tv, then select scan to find network which it does, enter WPA key number then it searches and comes up with

Wireless Device Found Local Access Failed Internet access Failed

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Your tv set may also need a firmware update. Have a look at this article You will need a usb stick to download the file to from your pc.

Like this post
doz123

Likes # 0

Thanks for that, as it is a brand new TV did not think I would have all this bother ,think I will send the dongle back, thanks again.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Although it is a brand new tv it may well have been in stock for a little while. Have you tried to connect your tv directly to your router by ethernet cable to see if it is being recognised? Doing this and then going through the set up again on your tv may just give you a connection. You can then disconnect it and try again with the dongle.

Sorry it has been so onerous - there are a million and one blogs online about these problems so you are not the only one having difficulties. Sony should do something about helping.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

If you haven't had enough yet....

Did you download the programme "Speccy" which tells you everything about your pc - download from here- when you have this on your desktop go to "network" bottom left and there you will see all you need.

Check Router's IP address Computer's IP address Default Gateway and DNS Server (should be router's IP address) Subnet Mask You will then need your WPA code from the bottom of the router

The TV gateway and DNS settings should be the same as you find above.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

If you haven't had enough yet....

Did you download the programme "Speccy" which tells you everything about your pc - download from here- when you have this on your desktop go to "network" bottom left and there you will see all you need.

Check Router's IP address Computer's IP address Default Gateway and DNS Server (should be router's IP address) Subnet Mask You will then need your WPA code from the bottom of the router

The TV gateway and DNS settings should be the same as you find above.

Like this post
doz123

Likes # 0

Thank you so much DNFARN what a good website.

IP address: 192.168.1.64 Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway Server: 192.168.1.254 Preferred DNS server 192.168.1.254

DHCP enabled DHCP server 192.168.1.254 External IP address 109.176.192.192

it also says on the network page Wi_fi not enabled could that be the problem. So if I enter all these details when they ask for IP address it is the top one. Thanks again you are a star.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Yes that should do it - fingers crossed

Like this post
doz123

Likes # 0

Hi DIFARN

We have lift off, after 2 days of talking to Sony getting nowhere, contacted the shop where I purchased the TV (Sound and Vision) and a nice man from there came round to my house and updated the firmware we now have internet on the TV yoo hoo.

Thanks again for all you help.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Excellent news - pity this couldn't have been mentioned and done at the time of purchase isn't it - now you know how to do it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers