We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sony Dongle to connect to TV

doz123

Likes # 0

Hi can anyone help me in simple terms. I have just purchased a Sony KDL40ex523 and a Dongle.

I have tried to follow Sony instructions for the dongle which are rubbish.

First what is my WPA key no could it be 192.168.1.254, this appears as my default gateway on my PC.

IP address is 192.168.1.64 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 Can anyone explain to me how I set my screen up, I am at a total loss any help would be appreciated.

P.S. do I say No to proxy server.

My Wireless router is Thomson 585

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Your WPA is the router key and usually found underneath the actual router itself. See the attached article about your router.

If you cannot find this go into your router by typing it's IP address in the address bar - in your router's case it is 192.168.1.254 - you will then need to enter your username and password - if you haven't changed these then they could be admin and password or admin and leave password blank.In your router's settings, look for a "security" or "wireless security" tab. Open this tab, and the WPA key should be displayed.

You say "no" to proxy server.

Don't know whether you have downloaded the set up instructions for the tv but you can find them here.

Like this post
doz123

Likes # 0

Hi thanks for your help, is the Wireless key number on the bottom of my router the WPA key number i.e. A582C0E422.

I have gone through the procedure and entered that number then auto but it keeps saying Wireless Connection OK Local access failed internet access failed. I am getting a bit fed up.

I tried what you said about typing in the ip address but none of the user names and passwords seem to work. My son set the wireless up for me I wrote down the password but not my user name. What on earth can I do.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Your user name may still be Admin.

If it says WPA to the left of it then it is the key number - looks as if it could be. This will be the key typed in when your wireless router was set up.

Is there a button you need to press on your router so that your dongle is "paired" with it and recognises it? Is there a WPS button on the front of your router. If so you could try pushing this - it is a wifi-protected set-up button that should automatically provide everything you need to set up the connection with your dongle.

Another thing to try is to update the hardware for the tv set.

Have found this You Tube video which takes you through the steps - may help.

You may also be interested to read these other postings on this site with the same problem.

You are not alone having so much trouble with this set up.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Found another article in this forum - if you have a look at the post by Bordersman you may find that this applies to you. Certainly seems to have worked in this case.

Like this post
doz123

Likes # 0

Hi thanks for all your responses, still not connected, I have been onto Sony for 30 minutes, they could not solve the problem when I scan TV finds the Router, but local and internet access fails. Then contacted my internet provider they state router working OK as the TV finds the router.

My Iphone is connected to the router OK, my son set that up and said he only entered the WPA key and changed nothing. I am at a total loss of what to do next any suggestions other than throwing the dongle out of the window.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Not very helpful of Sony really.

Just to recap:-

Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses should be the same as the router's IP address - have a look at the posts by ETAF in this article

Like this post
doz123

Likes # 0

Thanks for your response DFARN

Can I ask you if this is correct

IP Address . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64 windows IP config Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254 routers IP DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254 routers IP

I think I have tried this but I am sure it stated something was conflicting.

Thanks

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

These settings appear to be right.

What is your tv IP address set to? This should be the same as the router. ings?

When you initially tried to set up your connection what did you do? Did you choose the secured or unsecured wireless configuration?

Like this post
doz123

Likes # 0

How do I find out what my TV IP is set to, I just typed cmd then ipconfig to get the PC IP address. Sorry I am not very good at these things.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Sorry - forget the IP of the tv - that is for a tv with integral lan connection.

Did you have to put your dongle into your pc to set it up at first. Was there a set up disc? Some do and then are asked to select network from a list and you then have to enter your WPA code. Following completion of this the dongle is removed from the pc and inserted into the tv.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger