We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Webcam stopped working in usb port

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

I have a tower system with two extra usb ports on the front.Up until today my webcam has always worked in one of them. Not so today, wouldn't work in the usual one, so I moved it to the next one and it worked perfectly. Obviously I assumed that first port was kaput but that's not the case....other things plugged into it all work as they should. So in short...used to work in one....not any more, but works in the one next door...but original port ok. Can anyone help?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

USBs are funny creatures. First thing I'd try is to shut down PC then connect the webcam to the port giving trouble. Reboot and see what happens.

Legacy drivers do corrupt at times even more so if you don't use the safely remove wizard if showing in the notification area even if the peripheral is hot plug and play.

This is quite a small and powerful program that you can use for USB problems but I advise caution and to read the help files. Please use at your own risk.

USBDeview.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

If this has just happened try rebooting your computer?

Sometimes an item may stop working in one USB port but may work in another. I've have a similar problem with a USB flash drive and even a wireless mouse, after rebooting it usually work in any port. What causes the problem it's difficult to say.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks BRYNIT and rdave, rebooted and it came back to life....so simple it didn't occur to me and I've no idea why it worked-but it did. Thanks and have a good 2012.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

thumbscrew, Have a prosperous New Year to you and yours and nice to know you're sorted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers