We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another Excel query!

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon one and all, and a Happy New Year to Everyone.

I know, I know!! I have gone and committed another stupid. As some of you may know I have been looking for a share dealing/recording programme for some time. I thought I had found one but it did not accept ‘.QIF’ files, only ‘.CSV’ files. So I set about looking for a converter programme, and there appeared to be many! But!! They were almost all for converting a ‘CSV’ file to a ‘QIF’ file – NOT what I wanted!! However after trying – and I thought deleting all of them – what is now happening is that every time I open Excel I am getting a dialogue box coming up with ‘ ‘C:\ …\QIF To IIF File Converter\QIF To Excel Converter.xls could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name and verify that the file name is correct.

If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used files on the File Menu, make sure that the file has not been renamed, moved or deleted’

None of the files are in my recent file list and so I have no idea where this is coming from! When this appears I just click on ‘OK’ and it disappears, and there is no further problem but……… it is annoying and I would like to get rid of it! So my query is this : Does anyone, please, know of a way of getting rid of this completely and utterly? Any advice/help/information will be most gratefully received.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Gentlemen,

Please, someone must know how to get rid of this dialogue box, please!

This is getting really annoying, and I want it off my computer, doesn't anyone know how to get rid of it completely???

Please, please help.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Which version of Excel are you using?

Is the converter an add-in?

Like this post
VoG II

Likes # 0

Sounds to me like an Addin. Check what is ticked in Tools > Add-ins (Excel 2003) or earlier or in Excel Options (later versions).

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Woolwell and VoG™,

Gentlemen,

Good morning, in fact excellent morning - I hope!!

I was not aware of the add-in in tools, but have just seen your comments, went straight to the add-in section and there was a 'Qif to Excel converter' ticked. When I unticked it I was asked if I wanted to delete it as it couldn't be found. I ticked 'Yes' and it has gone, which means, I hope, that next time I start Excel there will be no problem.

Many, many thanks to both of you and many, many apologies for not getting back sooner. You have both been very helpful and I hope you have a very happy and wonderful NEW YEAR.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do