We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Broadband goes down if not used for a while

Halmer

Likes # 0

For some reason if I have a break from my PC for over tem minutes or so I get 'page cannot be found'. All the blue lights are still lit on the BT router but the ethernet connection does not work until I have tried it five or six times.

It's an XP PC and it seems like it is switching off somewhere. I've checked the router setting and can't find any 'if left idle' settings. Has anyone got any ideas please.

Thanks

H

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In device manager look for Network Adapters, select your ethernet card and go to properties, power management and untick the box for 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In device manager look for Network Adapters, select your ethernet card and go to properties, power management and untick the box for 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry for the double post, no idea how that happened.

Like this post
Halmer

Likes # 0

Thanks I checked that but it's already unticked.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If IE8 or higher let it diagnose the problem automatically.

Like this post
Halmer

Likes # 0

ok will post back thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen