We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Switching from Wired to WiFi gets me disconencted

dpapadop41

Likes # 0

Hello all,

I am using a laptop in our small office, which has both a wired and a WiFi network (same network via an access point).

Most of the times I am connected to the wired, but never disable the WiFI. When I unplug the cable, in order to move around, I will like to know if it possible to maintain the connection to the network. I normally have a couple of applications that connect to a database open and when I unplug the cable, they crash and I have to re-open them again.

Is this meant to happen or there is way around it?

Thank You

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

On some laptops there is an adaptor properties setting with an option to disable wireless, while ethernet/wired is connected, I have seen this on various brands

Could be worth a bit of investigating

Cheers HC

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you're connected by ethernet cable and disconnect this, there probably will be a momentary loss of network access until the wireless connection takes over. This could be sufficient for any applications dependent on the network to crash.

I think the simple answer is that you shouldn't change the mode of network access with these applications still running. Doing so might even result in lost data.

Like this post
dpapadop41

Likes # 0

Thank you for your replies. I thought it was worth asking as I have noticed MS-Office documents opened from a network shared location appear to remain open without crashing for the brief time it takes for the WiFi to kick in, the database drive applications on the other hand crash. Probably they don’t tolerate network outages of any kind so I have little chance to find a way to keep them open without crashing while network switches from wired to WiFi. Daniel

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...