We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC on the blink

bovthedog

Likes # 0

My PC has taken to shutting down at what seems like random intervals. Sometimes the boot screen hangs and needs a 'ESC' to continue, but sometimes not. It can also shut down while Windows XP (SP3) is loading and also after it has loaded or at anytime after but normally within the first few minutes. My browser (Firefox) will crash with an apology (very thoughtful). After system has been running for 5 minutes it will run for rest of the day. After shut-down PC will not restart for 1 minute as though there is a timer preventing restart. After a restart I get an option screen asking which Windows mode to start but if I select 'Safe Mode' all I get is a list of drivers. After trying to restart after 'Standby' PC will shut down. I'm drawn to an HDD problem as it is has got noisier. Any other thoughts much appreciated before I replace the HDD. My mobo is an Asrock P4 with AMI v02.54 BIOS. PC has been running now for 15 minutes without problems.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If an oldish computer check the air vents for dust and fluff.If any inside will probably need cleaning as well.

Have you tried Tapping F8 as the Computer starts just to see if it will start in safe mode that way. Check in device Manager to see if it finds any faults and event viewer to see if any problems on there.

Maybe do a chkdsk to see if that is ok.

And have you ran your security programs,Malwarebytes is good at finding problems.

Like this post
bovthedog

Likes # 0

Thanks Buteman. I ran chkdsk and no problems reported. I did further search and cold/condensation could be a problem. My PC is in quite a cold room overnight and it it is possible that condensation forms which would explain why it's difficult to start first thing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...