We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pc won't install windows properly

armacomroll

Likes # 0

My pc came with vista installed and I dualbooted with xp. I later did an upgrade with windows 7 over vista leaving me with windows 7 and dualbooted with xp. This worked well for a long period but last week my pc crashed. I now cannot get either vista or windows 7 to install. Thinking my hard drive had failed I replaced it and tried again. The only windows that will install is xp. This will allow me to surf the web ok but won't allow any programmes to install properly. they either hang and won't open or they just fizzle out during installation. I have two memory modules installed and have tested them by removing each one separately to see if one had failed but both give the same result when working with only one in the pc at a time. I'm now stuck can anyone help. The pc is 4 years old.

Like this post
armacomroll

Likes # 0

Thanks ICF Yesterday I cleared the CMOS by taking out the battery and left it awhile. I then did a clean install of XP. So far it's looking good - I have installed some of my programs and they appear to be working well so I am now going for the windows updates. I will give it a week or two and see how it goes and then try doing the windows 7 upgrade. Thanks again everyone and a happy new year.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes