We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Spec check these PC's

Jhaemes

Likes # 0

I'm looking to buy a new computer, something I can game on eventually. I don't want to build my own, so I'm looking at custom pre-builts. I've come across these:

i3 2120 cpu, Asrock H61m-VS, 500 GB hard drive, 4gb of 1333 Mhz RAM, CD and DVD re-writer.

It doesn't come with an OS, but I'll be using the hard drive from my old desktop with it, that should work? Anyway, is that a good PC to buy? It's just less than £300.

There are a few AMD routes too, although these don't really have a good upgrade path.

AMD AM3 Quad Core X645 + Processor, 4 GB of RAM DDR3 1333 MHz, 1TB SATA Hard Drive, DVD-RW, card reader.

Both use the integrated graphics, but I will be upgrading to a a proper graphics card after a while.

There's also this third one:

AMD QuadCore 3.6GHz Processor 1 x 4Gb DDR3 Memory 500gb SATAII Harddrive High Performance Motherboard
NVIDIA 7025 Graphics DVD ±RW SATA Drive Top Quality CIT Case
500W PSU

It'll be used mainly by me for gaming and web browsing, although the rest of the family will use it a tad for minor browsing, if that's any help.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I don't know anything about gaming but, if you simply take the hard drive from an old PC and put it in a new one, it won't work - the motherboard drivers won't be there.

Like this post
Jhaemes

Likes # 0

Using the old hard drive as a second hard drive though?

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

You can do that but you'll need an OS and appropriate drivers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer