We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A Prog Called Sample?

jimforrest

Likes # 0

I've just carried out an overwrite on a Vista laptop to put XP Pro on and I'm having a few unexpected problems (see Tosh Drivers post), but a weird one is that when I try to shut down I get a 'programme not responding' box telling me that a programme called Sample is not responding. This hangs the shutdown process until I force a shutdown. This was a fresh loading of Win XP Pro (SP1) onto the machine and it has not yet been connected to the 'net - so where has the 'Sample' programme come from? Any ideas as to what it is and/or how to find it on the computer?

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Make sure you select the correct on ie 64bit or 32bit

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Toshiba OFFICIAL Drivers from here enter link description here At Choice 3 enter the product name - ie. Atheros AR5006 EG. There is a driver there!

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Doesn't that install a third party program called DriverInstaller?

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Official Toshiba drivers Here

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

This IT stuff is strange - here's the story in steps - With your knowledge, my fumblings, and a lot of luck I got the LAN to work. I then realised my XP Disc is only up to SP1 - so I downloaded SP2. The Wifi immediately connected as soon as the comp restarted. I then downloaded SP3 - and the Wifi stopped connecting! It can see it, accepts the WEP Key, tries to connect, and fails. The LAN is fine. Just the Wifi to sort and it's done! In the meantime I'll delete all the other (unused) drivers and reinstall the correct one again (or do they have to be uninstalled)?

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Easier said than done! Where the hell are the installed drivers filed? I have got the downloaded (unzipped) files in one folder but I don't think they run from there. Similarly, if they have to be uninstalled how do I do it - they don't show in Control Panel.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

They should be in your downloads folder - ie: C:\Users(your name)\Downloads

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Thanks North - but because it wasn't connected to the 'net I imported them from a stick into a folder that I set up. From there I unzipped them to another folder and ran Setup for each set of drivers. Surely during Setup they get put into the Windows directory somewhere and they are called and run from there? If not I can just delete the folders I created and they will be gone. I downloaded CCleaner and disabled (nearly) all of the Startup programmes one by one. The 'Sample' prog still runs though! The only progs left running at Startup now are HKCU:RUN (ctfmon.exe - Win sys 32), HKLM:RUN (TPNF - Tosh Touchpad) and HKLM:RUN (zcfgsvc.exe - Win sys 32). I suppose it's possible that CCleaner doesn't show all the drivers etc, so does XP have a utility that will show everything that's running so I can find it?

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

OK chaps - made a bit of progress here. The Wifi switched off because XP SP3 turned the Firewall on - blocking the Wifi. Now sorted and have both LAN and Wifi working. I'm still looking for the 'Sample' prog which locks the shutdown process because it doesn't respond. I looked on the 'net and found a Task Manager report system (tasklist /m > tasklist.rtf) which shows everything that's running in a report. Trouble is it didn't identify the Sample prog by name! So I still need help on that one. I am downloading Adaware, Spybot etc to see if is a virus or worm imported with the drivers. Thanks for your patience so far.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

The only progs left running at Startup now are HKCU:RUN (ctfmon.exe - Win sys 32), HKLM:RUN (TPNF - Tosh Touchpad) and HKLM:RUN (zcfgsvc.exe - Win sys 32). I suppose it's possible that CCleaner doesn't show all the drivers etc, so does XP have a utility that will show everything that's running so I can find it?

In my first post the info link one they recommend renaming the exe called Zcfgsvc

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...