We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A Prog Called Sample?

jimforrest

Likes # 0

I've just carried out an overwrite on a Vista laptop to put XP Pro on and I'm having a few unexpected problems (see Tosh Drivers post), but a weird one is that when I try to shut down I get a 'programme not responding' box telling me that a programme called Sample is not responding. This hangs the shutdown process until I force a shutdown. This was a fresh loading of Win XP Pro (SP1) onto the machine and it has not yet been connected to the 'net - so where has the 'Sample' programme come from? Any ideas as to what it is and/or how to find it on the computer?

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

It seems it's the driver for an intel network card.Find out the model/make and see if there is an updated driver because all info on google seems old.

Info
Info

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Run this tool it will tell you the make and model of your wireless card.Then you can search for updated drivers.

Toshiba PC diagnostic tool

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Now that makes sense - the Wifi card is an Atheros, but I didn't know that when I downloaded and ran ALL of the Wifi drivers from the Tosh site. Now that the card is working (but not connecting unfortunately) I can see it on the Network screen. So - should I now find and remove all the drivers for the other cards, or do you think it might be better to look at getting a newer driver from Atheros rather than Tosh?

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Does that Toshiba PC diagnostic tool tell you the model number of the wifi card?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

ICF - Does that Toshiba PC diagnostic tool tell you the model number of the wifi card? Looking at this example it does enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You may be able to find the driver in C:\I386 folder

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Use SIW downloaded from here to obtain details, make,model etc of your motherboard so that you can then search online for driver update from the Manufacturers website. enter link description here

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

The card is an Atheros AR5006 EG. I went to the (unofficial) Atheros site and downloaded the Win XP 32 driver but when it unpacked it has loads of other drivers as well. I think I installed it ok but it's made no difference. I've also now connected via a LAN but it doesn't work either! Presumably there is another driver missing? (This Tosh was a Vista machine - now wiped and installed with XP Pro). I have the original Vista recovery discs but I don't want Vista back. Should I run the Tool to see if it tells me what the ethernet card is and find a driver for that?

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

The card is an Atheros AR5006 EG. I went to the (unofficial) Atheros site and downloaded the Win XP 32 driver but when it unpacked it has loads of other drivers as well. I think I installed it ok but it's made no difference. I've also now connected via a LAN but it doesn't work either! Presumably there is another driver missing? (This Tosh was a Vista machine - now wiped and installed with XP Pro). I have the original Vista recovery discs but I don't want Vista back. Should I run the Tool to see if it tells me what the ethernet card is and find a driver for that?

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Uninstall the wifi adapter then uninstall all the wifi drivers you installed earlier.Then install the correct driver from the unofficial website or Toshiba website.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015